Monday, November 11, 2013

30 Entrepreunial Habits/Traits I have learnt from my Boss


Simply put, I love my job. And I love my boss. (At least, pending the time I am not the recipient of his famous wrath, my feelings are still perfect towards him).


Every employee's dream is to work for a boss who will make you look forward to leaving your bed every morning to go to work. A good boss is hard to find, but when you have one, you often get to learn valuable lessons, albeit, usually dished out in various forms of emotions in his own case, as the case is, usually with all CEO's.


Time has also shown that when you work closely with some particular people, you tend to duplicate their emotions and feel what they feel. Here are some things I have managed to pick up in the line of duty and learned from a passionately good boss whose emotions at times run through me.

1a. There is really no difference between urgent and important. If it concerns me, treat as urgent AND important.

1b. I believe in absolute brevity. This means when you send a mail and I respond simply with ??????, it is an avenue for you to read your mail again and convince me of your common sense existence by doing the needful.

1c. There is nothing called "Indispensable staff". Always say that to yourself every morning before coming to work. And believe it.

2. Manage your personal productivity. Maintain a blame-free work environment. That does not mean when I am upset, I will not blame you.

3. I understand I am nice and you may want to take advantage. I am watching and waiting.

4. I believe in team work. This means you may, scratch that, you WILL take on tasks that will fall out of your usual job functions.

5. Yes, there is really such a thing as a stupid question, especially if I had taken time to explain it to you sometime in the past.

6. That you are rich does not mean you cannot be prudent.

7. If you ask a question and I do not respond, please, do not take it as a leverage to repeat yourself. I actually heard you the first time but just thought it would be nice to give you an unbelievable opportunity to think it through, consider the foolishness of it, then redeem yourself in my sight.

8. I do not like to repeat myself on any topic/subject whatsoever. Kindly refer to no. 5 & 7.

9. If you really want to make a point, try not to use sentiments. I like facts, statistics & figures.

10. The regular closing time for each working day is 5:00pm. I agree. Just know that as long as I am still on seat and within the office premises, it will be extremely sinful of you to leave before me, don't you think?

11. I believe in giving people a very long rope to hang themselves. Don't blame me if you choke on it due to your ineptitude.

12. The working days of the week is between Monday-Friday. However, kindly send a mail and copy HR explaining why you were unreachable over the weekend and the reason you were not responding to any of the 100 mails I sent to you over the weekend.

13. I understand I am a difficult person and rather demanding sometimes. I take that back. I will ALWAYS be demanding and difficult. Didn't the HR mention that to you during your induction stage? Their bad, really!

14 Chances abound that you may have palpitations when I summon you to my office. It is expected so you may want to be prepared. Hey, some people say the Lord's prayer before knocking and entering. You may want to try that. Heard it works.

15. I believe in Family culture. And I know you have family values also. Which is why I do not require you to come in to the office during weekends. But why don't you come over to my house on Saturday morning so we watch some movies, have some breakfast and discuss the business processes we will be implementing next week? Try and make it before 9:00am please. You may be having lunch and dinner here by the way. Will you be going to church on Sunday? Is it necessary? I was considering you sleeping over. I have some presentation that will take a while. You can use my phone to notify your family you will be going to work from here on Monday.

16. I really do NOT like to repeat myself. But when I do, I may switch to sarcasm mode. Let's hope you are smart enough to discern it.

17. At times, you should understand it may not be your fault really. That does not mean I will not lash out at you. Because I need you to explain why you and the rest of your team are incompetent. Oh, they are not your team mates? Wow, but you are both employees of this company, right? So you WILL need to know and understand why a process is not working. Make it your duty.

18. I make some demands at times that I am aware Usain Bolt may not be able to deliver. You are not Usain Bolt. Make it happen.

19. When I give you a task, BEGIN before MAKING EXCUSES. Let me see you TRY. It's not your position to tell me it can't be done. What, you think I am stupid?

20. You will not be going on Vacation for a very long time. Let your family know on time.

21. I may ask you the same question a million times. Let your responses be constant. Integrity means more to me than anything.

22. If you lie to me, I will fire you. And yes, I will find out.

23. It is my company. Never forget that.

24. I value opinions and let you make them. Do not however, take that to mean dishing unsolicited advice on how to run my business. Please refer to no. 23.

25. I believe in playing after work. Hey, use my card and run some bills while at it. We will be reviewing the financial aspect of the company when we get to the party venue by the way.

26. I am not impressed by processes. For me, EFFORT does not count. Give me RESULTS.

27. I understand and believe in motivating employees. Which is why I let you negotiate your wages. Once you come on board, be prepared for my full wrath and think about your monthly remuneration and let it be a source of motivation to come into the office every morning.

28. I understand I can be temperamental. It comes with being the CEO of a company.

29.I actually smile at times you know. But it happens only when you have delivered a perfect job. Which you have not done in a long while by the way.

30. Like I said earlier, there really is something as a stupid question. Like a plague, avoid asking them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments. I'd love to read your thoughts and opinions.