Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Have you met my Best Friend?

A real friend is one who stands by her friend in the hour of her need, when she needs her the most. The real test of friendship is, therefore, not mere acquaintance but the will to render timely help to a friend in distress. It is indeed very rare to find a true friend in this world.

Of course, there have been a few examples of true friendship. Lord Krishna and Sudama were class-fellows. They had studied under same Guru. When they grew up, Lord Krishna became a king, but became a pauper. Once Sudama went to Lord Krishna to seek his help, Krishna welcomed his old friend with open arms. He sent out his men to a palatial house for Sudama and gave liberal financial assistance to his friend to overcome their poverty. Lord Krishna thus proved to be a real friend of’ Sudama.

Another classical example can be seen from the abiding friendship between Marx and Engels. Karl Marx was a great philosopher but very poor, whereas Engels was a rich mill-owner. The friendship between them was quite deep that they wrote books together. Engels always helped his friend Marx financially.
Nowadays true and faithful friends are very rare. We should remember that only a person who is sincere and honest will prove to be a good friend. A good friend is a consistent source of happiness.

When i met Titi Kasali(Everyone calls her name in full, it's either Titi Kasali or nothing) in 2004, It was simply not possible that we would turn out to be deep chummies that can sacrifice or compromise for the other party.
Not to digress, Titi waltzed and sashayed (and i mean that literally) into my life with a bang. I have always 
been on the reserved side of the fence and while in one of those shy moments in my lecture room, I sensed rather than saw a slim silhouette whiff past me in a non-chalant -like gait and came to stand in front of my desk. "I need you to follow me to the registrar's office. I want to get some stuff. Oya, let's go. We will need to get to the kiosk to get some drinks. I am so thirsty. Do they sell cold drinks around here? When is our next lecture? I am so not ready to listen to any right now. Who is that fine guy in front of Professor Ola's office? My parents should have reached Lagos by now. Let me even remember to buy credit and call them. Teju, if I tell you what happened to me in OSU, you will be shocked, will you believe some guys actually tried to beat me because I refused to………..” She unbelievably chatted non-stop till we got to all her pre-arranged destination without pausing for breath. At a time, I nursed the vivid thought of finding out if she had a remote wired to her brain and I roamed my eyes all over her head to see where to turn off the switch. No human can survive that long with so much energy spent on just talking. I was in a revered like trance until we parted ways, for some few mins. Then she was back, and haven’t left since.


Titi & I

Anyone seen the movie, "Legally Blonde"? Reese Witherspoon, the sorority girl who became everyone's darling without even trying so hard? Yes, that is Titi Kasali. She sauntered and made an appearance and has refused to leave since then.
Now, people who knew me in the early 90's-2003 will agree that i was an extremely shy and reserved personnel back then, right? Well, not anymore! Girls like Titi do not come into your life and leave you the same. She brought out the inner shiny me, the extrovert, the extremely mischievous, the smart alec, the sarcastic witty chic with an immediate retort for everything, the vivacious character, she brought it all out. Ever heard the phrase when you dilly dally with a dog, you are bound to eat.....? Well in her case, when you move with Titi Kasali, you either become like her or you are worse off.

I became worse off.

I have always wanted a friend who was like the identical twin sis i never had: same ideology, same interest, same love for drama, same attention span, same intellectual stance, same all!!! I found that and more with her. She was the best friend I had always wanted. And hey, we even graduated in the top five in class. (I led by some remarkable points though).
She is one of those very rare people that come out looking beautiful with no extra effort made, extremely humorous, filled with so many ideas she is always scared to execute, too passionate about all she cares for,extremely real, down to earth, sassy, more of a food monger than a fashionista: (this means you are most likely to come across her in Ogba Retail Market haggling for foodstuff than at Oyeog Fashion or Ade Bakare Couture).
Ever been a time when I rued the day I met her? Yes! When we quarrel, fight or when she is simply herself: downright annoying. But true friend is like marriage, the good days will come and the bad days will arrive. However, never ever sweat the small stuff with that true and special person as those little things you fight over will not matter in some few mins/days/weeks/months/years down the line.
It is at this point that I’m supposed to conclude with some very lame mushy phrase like: I love you so much Titi, but with the new law on lesbianism and public declaration on gayness, abeg, let’s leave it at: It’s been great knowing you Titi Oremade, nee Kasali.

At my wedding
At my wedding.

N:B: Titi Kasali is now married to her beau and blessed with a son and answers to Mrs Titi' Seun Oremade. She currently works for a Public Relations Private company and is a top executive at her firm. She however revealed she will rather purchase a blackberry curve 2 as opposed to a Q10. (Yeah, she can be very razz)






6 comments:

  1. Hi Teju, am hooked ( i dont mean engaged O, I have a girlfriend and she hasn't proposed yet. She expect me to get the ring. You see, one day I was going to by the ring then I ended up buying 'The Ring' with 'Lord of ' just before it. It was a good a movie)
    Back to the matter, I love your blog. can you help me get my stifling demons out as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looooool @Zakari. Many thanks. I can see you are also a sarcastic mate. It's great to meet another person with a wicked sense of humour.

      Delete

Please share your comments. I'd love to read your thoughts and opinions.