Tuesday, October 22, 2013

On the subject of Punctuality

There is something called coming to work early enough. And there is something known as "just too unprofessionally early".
Getting to work early this morning in a very light spirit and on a rather bouncy gait, I attempted to open the familiar black gate with a push of my right hand, as the regular routine I indulge in every day and  I was surprised to discover the gate would not budge. Having concluded in the deepest recess of my mind that the gate needed some oiling and mechanical attention, I silently noted to myself to inform Admin unit on the need for repair. I tried again, for the second time but the gate still refused to widen its aperture to enclose me like it usually does.
During this scenario, it never crossed my very slow thoughts (though i assure you I’m a regular fast thinker, but probably due to waking up at 3:30am as a result of hubby's skulking around the room, my brain must be waiting for its ritual morning coffee to meet me at the point of need) that the gate must have been unrepentant because it has not been opened for the daily bustle of staff coming in for the daily manna production.

After a little bit of deliberation on the non-cooperation on the gate's part and giving it my good old glare, I adjusted the straps of my Hermes bag (whatever peeps, don't hate, I choose whichever of my bag to name Hermes for the day), I tried to push the gate again and hoping somehow that this time, it will recognise the hand trying to nudge it open but status remained quo. (That word can be used separately, right?

With a look close to exasperation mixed with confusion, I banged a bit harder on the gate and I watched, albeit with a non-friendly look, a young man walk towards the gate with extreme tiredness in his gait while using his right hand to clear his eyes. As soon as he got to me, he yawned and slowly slided the gate-lock that was causing a barrier between myself and the company's head office. He effortlessly pulled the gate back and I want to believe that at the same time and minute, our brains took immediate cognizance of each other. He spoke before I could regain my composure at seeing the office security still in his mufti (singlet and shorts for that matter) and apparently just waking.
"Aunty, ahn ahn, did you sleep in the other office? Was it night you did and you are just going home this morning?"(At this point, one would assume the security official was simply making concerned enquiries. However, for people who make daily conversations dripping in rich sarcasms and innuendos, this statement would have made the nomination for the most hidden sarcasm used in 2013 and will simply be translated to mean, “Aunty, this one wey you come early so, you no dey sleep for house nii?)
All this while, I am ashamed to say my brain was not on its best behaviour as despite his whole groggy ensemble, I asked the typical Nigerian question that we ask even though the answer stares us right in the face.
"Morning Peter, are you just waking nii? Isn't it too late for you to still be sleeping and the gate still closed by this time? Do you expect staff to be banging hard on the gate to have you come open? You are not even dressed yet ahn ahn”. (ahn ahn is a Nigerian polite phrase that is used in place of “how daft can you be?”
And then he responded with a rather confused look.
"Ma, it's just like 10 mins past 6 o. We usually leave the gate open around 6:30 and by then we will be ready. Let me go and get dressed but I will turn on the gen for you now."
And with a chagrined expression, I looked down at the time. He was wrong about the time though. The time was actually 6:02 am. 
My question is this: When is the right time to discuss remuneration review with my boss based on my over-sabi punctuality?


N:B: Over-sabi is when someone does a task/job/service that is not exactly expected of him/her and really no one cares if the task/job/service is done and the task/service/job would have been better left the way it is, as usually the over sabi task does not generate any revenue at the end of the day.




1 comment:

Please share your comments. I'd love to read your thoughts and opinions.